Tourism in rural Britain is booming. For people from all walks of life, staying in the countryside and on working farms is an opportunity to experience something different. The range of accommodation is huge, from wild camping to high end glamping in treehouses and shepherd huts. This is an exciting industry to be involved in.

In pursuit of setting up your new business, the planning process can seem like a daunting hurdle to overcome. Whilst in most cases we would anticipate support of tourism proposals, the devil is in the detail and hugely dependent on site. Preparation is key to a successful application and not only are there a few 'dealbreakers' but there are several factors that need to be carefully considered and explained to the council to make sure it complies, and planning permission can be secured.

Is planning permission required?

Unless you can meet the site exemption certificate requirements then in all other cases planning permission will be required, even if the structures are mobile and capable of being moved, and even if they are only up for a few months of the year.

For more information watch our videos here:

New rules for operating a campsite on your land (July 2023)

TRPC Planning permission for glamping and camping

What are the main factors to consider?

  • Likelihood of flooding
  • Highways safety and impact
  • Impact on public rights of way
  • Impact on designations such as Green Belt or AONBs
  • Noise impact
  • Neighbour amenity
  • Ecology

Other factors to consider include Design, Materials, Scale, Use, Siting and Drainage.

Budget: As a ballpark, you should be budgeting £1800 to £3500 to use a planning consultant plus drawings will cost approx £450.

Timescale: Approx 6 months.

  Ready to get the ball rolling?

Contact us today for any queries or information.


Fill out this enquiry form if you would like to make an appointment to chat with us.


Meet our team.