An Agricultural Workers Dwelling, also referred to as a Rural Workers Dwelling is often needed on a farm to house farm workers, particularly when there is a need for a farm worker to be on site at all times.

Is Planning Permission Required?

The short answer is yes. Even a farm workers dwelling requires planning permission.

At the Rural Planning Co, we are very experienced in achieving planning permission for Rural Workers Dwellings. Click here to see our Case Study on Cobblers Farm and Dog Lane.

What are the main considerations?

To achieve planning permission for an Agricultural Workers Dwelling firstly you have to meet the planning policy 'in principle'. This means you have to meet the tests and principle as below:

1. Is there an essential need for you to be there?

2. Is the business profitable and likely to stay so in the long term?

3. Is there a need for a full time worker?

For more information watch our video here:

How to get planning for an Agricultural Workers Dwelling

If your application meets the policy 'in principle' then start to think about the practical considerations:

  • Design, Size and Scale
  • Siting and location
  • Highways
  • Water management / Drainage
  • Landscape and visual impact
  • Heritage impact

Ballpark Budget: You should budget £4,500 to £6,500 for a Planning Consultant depending on the complexity of your project + Planning Fee approx £500. Architect Fees will be between £1,500 and £5,000 and Additional Surveys (Ecological, Topographical, Heritage and Landscape) in the region of £2,000 to £3,000. Total budget therefore £8,000 to £12,000

Timescale: Approx 12 months from start to finish

  Ready to get the ball rolling?

Contact us today for any queries or information.


Fill out this enquiry form if you would like to make an appointment to chat with us.


Meet our team.